Thursday, March 5, 2009

DNA Conclusion

This week in science class, we did a DNA extraction lab with a partner. First we were given a plant cell and an animal cell. Since I chose to extract plant DNA, I was instructed to add 6 drops of detergent into the tube of plant cells. Second, I was ordered to include a smidgen of salt and enzymes and swirl it around the tube. Ms. A explained how the detergent breaks the cells as well as the enzyme acted. Then, we were to drop enough of isopropanol so that the liquid would rise 2 lines up the tube. Furthermost, my solution was a success because evidently the isopropanol expanded the DNA large enough to be visible through the naked eye. The DNA appeared like a cloudy white structure at the top where the isopropanol was poured. Luckily, I accomplished the lab's goal which was to see the plants DNA.

0 comments: